Road and bridge works is set to be one of the strongest performing areas of Australia’s construction sector, with an unprecedented amount of construction and maintenance work in the pipeline, resulting from:
- A collection of big capital city projects across all states,
- A ramping-up of urban renewal, maintenance, and improvement programs, including arterial road upgrades,
- The reaching of capacity limits at major airports, leading to new runway projects and a new airport in Sydney,
- A general improvement, on a less splashy scale, of regional works (including ongoing, large-scale upgrades on the Bruce, Pacific, and Princes Highways), and
- Short-to-medium term stimulus spending by the Federal, state and territory governments.
The pipeline of major projects, which is driving the strength of road construction over the coming five years, is shown in the chart below.
This report provides a concise explanation of the nature and magnitude of the impacts in the various construction and maintenance segments in roads and bridges. It also provides a fully revised set of forecasts, and corresponding project list, for all road and bridge segments looking ahead ten years.